RIGHT wing newspaper El Mundo has been left with egg on its face after it reported on a shadowy Gibraltarian ‘guerrilla group’ threatening to wage war against Spain.
The paper ran the story that the radical group ‘Gibraltar Messengers’ had issued a series of threats to sink Spanish boats in Gibraltarian waters.
It claimed the group was distributing leaflets in both Gibraltar and La Linea, inciting civil disobedience.
However the shadowy paramilitary organisation, the Gibraltar Messenger, turns out to be a rambling blog that claims, among other things, that the British Royal Family are Nazis and called for a volunteer Gibraltarian Special Boat Service to be set up.
It also urged that the people of both Gibraltar and La Linea should ‘unite the whole Campo with their Gibraltarian cousins, with everyone at peace, free and prosperous under the rule of Christ, your shared rightful King, rather than the evil Elizabeth and Juan Carlos’.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44