HEALTH minister Ana Mato has resigned after a judge accused her of benefiting from illegal payments from the Gurtel scandal.
She was summoned to court over her alleged involvement in the network of corrupt businessmen and politicians that has caused a huge political scandal.
El Pais has reported that the final decision on her future was taken by Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, following a meeting on Wednesday evening.
Investigating judge Pablo Ruz announced he believes Mato ‘personally profited’ from the alleged corruption of her ex-husband Jesus Sepulveda, who was the PP mayor of Madrid suburb Pozuelo de Alarcon.
While she has not been named as an official suspect, Mato will have to sit in the dock during hearings.
The Gurtel scandal has rocked the ruling PP government, with several top officials arrested. It was a huge scheme involving illegal party donations or kickbacks from a ring of businessmen seeking lucrative contracts.
The illegal money allegedly paid for children’s birthday parties and designer goods for Mato in 2001, 2002 and 2005.
She served as minister of Health, Social Services and Equality under Mariano Rajoy from 2011 to 2014
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44