AN entire Spanish village has been put on the market for €122 million.
Cinera de Gordon, in Northern Spain, houses 800 residents, and comes complete with 128 houses, 12 flats, a football pitch, a public swimming pool, a cinema and a mine full of coal.
The once buzzing mining hub has become a shadow of its former self after the company managing its mine went bust last year.
The village had belonged to Hullera Vaco-Leonesa for decades, but the bankrupt company is selling off its assets, which includes Cinera de Gordon.
“The worst thing about all this is that we found out our town was up for sale through the internet, when the judge issued the writ,” one local, Jose said.
Another seemed more optimistic, hoping a property company will buy it all up.
““It’s a very good place for tourists and for some property company to come along and buy it all up,” he said, “As for the closed mine, some Chinese have shown an interest.”
The mining industry in Spain has suffered since the country began pushing for renewable energy sources, with consumption of coal falling by 50% in the past year alone.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14