A SMALL Spanish town has been criticised for alleged cruelty to animals after video footage surfaced showing young calves being taunted, stabbed and killed during its festival.
PACMA has denounced the practice, which sees un-trained matadors slaughtering young bulls.
The political group has released footage of Valmojado Toledo residents taking turns to spear a number of calves inside the town’s bullring.
The video has sparked such outrage that the town hall has been forced to remove both its Facebook and Twitter pages due to an avalanche of criticism.
The event – known as a becerrada – takes place every August where residents are pitted against calves aged between one and two years old.
Valmojado, southwest of Madrid, released a statement defending the spectacle, which it said is a legitimate part of the country’s bullfighting culture.
It also lambasted the insults and abuse it says it and its residents have received since animal rights group PACMA released the video online.
The video shows young people in a bull ring taunting calves with bull-fighting capes and sticking lances in their backs.
One is stabbed with a sword in matador fashion and another is finished off with a knife.
The town hall said it wished to “reiterate our absolute rejection of all types of animal mistreatment,” adding that it was seeking legal advice regarding the insults, which it said “tarnished the good name of Valmojado, its history and traditions.”
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43