SPAIN has shattered forecasts for Easter tourism figures this year.
Industry experts say the numbers were helped by the weather, which encouraged last-minute planners to make the most of the sunshine.
The strong results were not exclusive to the usual coastal hotspots as cities and rural enclaves also saw a soar in visitors.
Public Works Minister Inigo de la Serna said ‘things could not have gone better.’
The minister said overall occupancy rates were up 10% on last Easter.
“Our economy keeps growing, and this new push makes us optimistic about growth forecasts for the Spanish economy,” he said.
Figures released by industry group CEHAT show occupancy rates were between 85% and 90% in inland destinations, and at 90% on the coasts.
The Costa del Sol had an average occupancy rate of 83.57% while Cantabria reached 100% on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
At least two million Brits are thought to have travelled abroad for Easter, with the majority flocking to Spain.
It comes after a record-breaking 2016 which saw more than 75 million visitors who spent more than €75 billion in the country.
Following the booster Easter, the tourism industry is hoping to set another record this year.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45