SEVEN malnourished abandoned horses have been found living among manure, rubbish dumps and sharp objects on the Costa Blanca.
A neighbour alerted officials to the animal abuse, in which the horses were living on a private finca in Mutxamel in Alicante.
La Guardia Civil found the starving animals with empty food bowls and hardly any water.
The owner – a 24-year-old Spanish man – is currently being investigated by the Servicio de Protección de la Naturaleza (Seprona) for crimes related to the protection of flora, fauna and domestic animals.
He could be facing up to a year in prison.
The finca and stables were found covered in mud, with manure and piles of rubbish stretching as far as the riding school.
Officials also found a number of sharp objects which could severely injure the animals, such as a pitchfork and scissors.
During the inspection officials discovered the horses were suffering from symptoms of malnutrition and neglect, such as extreme emaciation and a lack of hygiene.
While the horses did not have adequate medical documentation, they were also not legally registered with the Ayuntamiento.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03