A BRITISH family have been convicted for filing a fake food poisoning claim for their holiday in southern Spain.
Four members of the same family were sentenced to three months in prison by Liverpool High Court.
They were also fined €842 each for ‘concocting a fake claim for gastric illness to win compensation’ and will have to pay the travel operator’s legal costs.
The family had claimed they fell ill from food poisoning while staying at Benidorm’s all-inclusive Aqua Magic Rock Gardens in July 2015.
The claim was filed against the travel operator Jet2 Holidays, from whom they demanded around €50,000 in damages.
“For some time we have warned that making false claims could lead to serious consequences, and this ruling shows how serious they can be,” said Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays in a statement.
Michael Jameson, Claire Weir, Janet Weir and Jane Weir alleged that the hotel food had given them nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramps.
But all four boasted they were having ‘the best holiday ever’ and ‘enjoying every minute’ on social media.
Hotel records also showed them enjoying alcoholic beverages, including beer, gin and vodka, even as they were supposed to be suffering from gastric illnesses.
“We always held that it was a false claim because our food meets all safety standards,”said Pilar Lafuente, an official with the hotel chain Magic Costa Blanca, which operates the Benidorm hotel.
Lafuente said that the family was only thinking about ‘the possibility of getting a free vacation and some extra money, a technique that the British courts are already acting against.’
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29