DRIVERS in Granada have narrowly cheated death as an enormous five-tonne boulder crashed down onto the carretera.
The N-340 road between Nerja and Torrox was completely closed off yesterday, as engineers began clearing the highway of the 25-metre-cubed rock, which fell at around 4:00pm.
Despite the sizeable chunk off cliff landing near beach bar La Restinga, there were no injuries or fatalities.
The mayor of Torrox, Óscar Medina said: “We have decided to close it as a precaution and estimate it will remain closed for about a week.
“It is not just about removing it,” he continued, “for safety we have to clean all the rocks and eliminate those that are cracked so that the wall becomes compact again.”
It is expected that the huge lump of stone, which broke free from a protective cliff face mesh, will cost over €40,000 to break up and dispose of.
With a history of rock falls in the area the mayor took no chances in sealing off the highway ahead of heavy rain forecasts.
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01
- Spain’s Government SEIZES former dictator General Franco’s €5 million summer palace over its ‘fraudulent’ sale - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- Jennifer Lopez to perform on Spain’s Costa del Sol for her 50th birthday - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Marbella mayor invites Barack Obama back to Costa del Sol to play golf - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 11:36