SINCE 1943 the Vatican hid documents on the paedophilia of a top Catholic priest, it has been revealed.
Marcial Maciel, who founded the Legionaries of Christ, was investigated for the sexual abuse of boys and men between 1956 and 1959.
The Catholic Church had 240 documents showing the systematic abuse by Mexican-born Maciel, who was the ally of several popes.
But evidence of his sexual abuse was covered up for seven decades after the first allegation was made in Spain in the early 1940s.
Cardinal João Braz admitted to the shocking findings, saying ‘we’ve been hiding for 70 years, and this has been a huge mistake,’ El Pais reported.
The Brazilian dignitary made his accusations in an interview with the Spanish Catholic magazine Vida Nueva.
He claimed those who covered up the abuse of boys as young as six were a ‘mafia’ and not the Church.
Maciel died in 2008 and was only banned from active ministry in 2006 by Pope Benedict XVI, who told him to retire in Mexico to a life of ‘penance and prayer’.
After the allegations made by Spanish Jesuits in the early 1940s, Maciel was expelled from the Pontifical University of Comillas in northern Spain.
Pope John Paul II was one of those, along with several Spanish bishops, who endorsed Maciel down the years.
After Maciel’s death in 2008, more victims began to come forward with allegations of sexual abuse.
The dad-of-six and alleged morphine addict was even accused of abusing two of his own children.
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15