DEFENCE Secretary Gavin Williamson has amused the military world with his suggestion to protect Gibraltar from Spanish warships using paintballs.
The Cabinet minister put forward the idea for the Royal Navy to fire paintballs at encroaching Spanish boats during a Ministry of Defence (MoD) meeting.
A source told the Sun: “It was an excruciating moment when everyone in the room realised he was deadly serious.
“Gavin Williamson comes up with some pretty off the wall things, but firing paintballs at the Spanish Navy beats the lot of them.”
The military source said ‘Private Pike strikes again’ in reference to the loveable, stupid Dad’s Army character Williamson is often likened to.
Meanwhile, an MoD spokesperson said: “The Defence Secretary was speaking in jest about paintballing Spanish ships.
“He is in favour of the Royal Navy taking a strong stand against Spanish incursions into sovereign British waters.”
The Tory MP’s comments come as the numbers of Spanish warships entering the territorial waters of the Rock have increased to around two a day.
The number of Spanish ships entering British territorial waters shot up from 541 in 2017 to 816 last year.
Tension in the area appeared to reach boiling point following the Brexit negotiations, as the UK allowed a military submarine to dock at the Rock.
Months later Spain responded with its own inflammatory gesture by sending a Spanish warship into Gibraltar’s waters blaring its national anthem.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25