DEFENCE Secretary Gavin Williamson has amused the military world with his suggestion to protect Gibraltar from Spanish warships using paintballs.
The Cabinet minister put forward the idea for the Royal Navy to fire paintballs at encroaching Spanish boats during a Ministry of Defence (MoD) meeting.
A source told the Sun: “It was an excruciating moment when everyone in the room realised he was deadly serious.
“Gavin Williamson comes up with some pretty off the wall things, but firing paintballs at the Spanish Navy beats the lot of them.”
The military source said ‘Private Pike strikes again’ in reference to the loveable, stupid Dad’s Army character Williamson is often likened to.
Meanwhile, an MoD spokesperson said: “The Defence Secretary was speaking in jest about paintballing Spanish ships.
“He is in favour of the Royal Navy taking a strong stand against Spanish incursions into sovereign British waters.”
The Tory MP’s comments come as the numbers of Spanish warships entering the territorial waters of the Rock have increased to around two a day.
The number of Spanish ships entering British territorial waters shot up from 541 in 2017 to 816 last year.
Tension in the area appeared to reach boiling point following the Brexit negotiations, as the UK allowed a military submarine to dock at the Rock.
Months later Spain responded with its own inflammatory gesture by sending a Spanish warship into Gibraltar’s waters blaring its national anthem.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59