THE British Chamber of Commerce in Spain has issued a stark Brexit warning ahead of the release of Theresa May’s new plan.
Christopher Dottie, the group’s president in Barcelona said: “Our 300 members are very worried and hope that there is a solution fast.”
He said the British people had not decided upon the ‘pain’ caused by Brexit and do not yet have answers.
“Every company is worried whether in April they will have the licence to trade and if the staff will be able to stay where they are,” he added.
Around 700 British investors generate over 200,000 jobs in Spain each year.
Dottie says he thinks Madrid should lead the Brexit negotiations with London, before the UK is set to leave the EU on March 29.
“It is going to be impossible to agree and ratify a deal, considering the red lines the British Government has imposed,” he added.
Brexit has so far not significantly impacted British investors in Spain, but Dottie is clear to point out that there is no agreement to rely upon at this time.
It comes as British Prime Minister Theresa May has been forced to reveal a ‘plan B’ for Brexit on Monday.
The House of Commons emphatically rejected May’s Withdrawal Agreement on Tuesday by a majority of 432 to 202 votes.
Then 24 hours later May narrowly survived a no-confidence vote, where the DUP’s 10 votes kept the embattled UK leader’s government in power.
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12