THE British Chamber of Commerce in Spain has issued a stark Brexit warning ahead of the release of Theresa May’s new plan.
Christopher Dottie, the group’s president in Barcelona said: “Our 300 members are very worried and hope that there is a solution fast.”
He said the British people had not decided upon the ‘pain’ caused by Brexit and do not yet have answers.
“Every company is worried whether in April they will have the licence to trade and if the staff will be able to stay where they are,” he added.
Around 700 British investors generate over 200,000 jobs in Spain each year.
Dottie says he thinks Madrid should lead the Brexit negotiations with London, before the UK is set to leave the EU on March 29.
“It is going to be impossible to agree and ratify a deal, considering the red lines the British Government has imposed,” he added.
Brexit has so far not significantly impacted British investors in Spain, but Dottie is clear to point out that there is no agreement to rely upon at this time.
It comes as British Prime Minister Theresa May has been forced to reveal a ‘plan B’ for Brexit on Monday.
The House of Commons emphatically rejected May’s Withdrawal Agreement on Tuesday by a majority of 432 to 202 votes.
Then 24 hours later May narrowly survived a no-confidence vote, where the DUP’s 10 votes kept the embattled UK leader’s government in power.
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 job losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00