The Spanish Wine Federation have issued advice to the industry to reduce the threat of the UK’s potential no-deal exit from the EU.
It told its members to make advanced transportation plans and ensure wine is correctly labelled.
It comes as the value of the pound plummeted on Tuesday night following MPs’ vote on amendments to her Brexit deal.
This is after Rioja imports have been negatively affected by Brexit since early 2018.
Exports to the UK dropped 16% in the first 11 months of last year, while global markets saw a 10% slump, according to wine association Grupo Rioja.
He added: “Of course it could get worse in case of no deal.
“The sterling would further depreciate and the UK would turn into a third country with no custom agreement and probably higher duties.”
La Rioja is the largest European wine region in terms of exports to the UK.
In the first nine months of 2018, its wineries sold 32 million litres of vino to UK buyers – one third of its total global exports.
The UK is set to leave the EU on March 29 and Theresa May now has to negotiate her Brexit agreement with Brussels.
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00