A BRITISH expat cafe owner has been left fuming after council workers marked off her terrace making it too small for tables and chairs.
Maggie Smith, 72, from Surrey, has run the Palma business for 19 years, but now fears her trade could be severely affected.
The mother-of-one told the Olive Press she was ‘shocked’ to discover her seating area had been confined to a tiny painted box on the pavement outside Bar San Marino, in San Agustin.
“The chairs and tables have always been in the same place,” the retired financial advisor said, “but now they will have to be moved right next to the road.”
Despite requesting a 5.7 square metre terrace outside her cafe, which employs three Spaniards, the council issued Maggie just a meagre 4.23 square metres.
The demarcated area also includes a large tree, making it impossible to seat any customers, while doors from parked cars also intrude across the lines.
Meanwhile, Maggie is also applying for the relocation of an intrusive parking meter that was installed outside the cafe prior to the yellow lines.
“If I’m forced to put people in the new area, I’ll have to buy something to cover over it and I’ve only just bought new chairs and tables,” she added.
“People won’t want to sit out there in June, July and August.”
Maggie serves a range of hot and cold dishes at her cafe, including a classic Spanish breakfast of a tostado and cafe con leche.
Palma City Council was contacted by the Olive Press, but declined to comment.
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08