GIBRALTAR is to install speed bumps on the Rock to protect its monkeys, the Government has announced.
A total of 17 speed bumps are planned for roads on the upper part of the Rock in order to ‘calm traffic’ and help ‘reduce danger’ to visitors and wildlife.
A Government spokesperson said the new measures protect the ‘most vulnerable’ species in the area, including baby macaque monkeys, partridge chicks and rabbits.
They added: “Despite this, drivers are urged to take care on the Upper Rock and drive slowly.”
The new traffic initiative is one of a series of wide-ranging ‘green’ improvements across Gibraltar.
Also included, is the clearing of dense scrub, to be replaced by open habitats, which promote a richer biodiversity of animal and plant species.
The Government has begun planting dozens of trees, including tamarisks near Little Bay and two eucalyptuses outside Gibraltar Parliament.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33