THE Costa del Sol’s tourism market had its best winter on record, new figures have revealed.
Some 3.2 million travellers visited Spain’s southernmost coast between November 2018 and March of this year, beating all previous winter periods since records began.
Forecasts now predict that at least 7.3 million tourists will visit the coast this summer, and that this year will smash all previous records with 13 million visitors.
It comes after 2018 saw a record-breaking 12.6 million holidaymakers descend on the costa.
“The winter season has been the best in the history of the Costa del Sol,” a government spokesperson said, “Businesses have had increases throughout the low season and there are very good expectations in high season too.”
Spanish and British visitors made up a whopping 60% of the trips during winter.
Government sources said the Brits continue to be the dominating foreign force and that flight bookings have increased despite Brexit.
Tourism boss Arturo said the British market seemed to be ‘unaffected’.
Meanwhile travellers from Greece soared by 184%, Czech Republic (+61.3%), Austria (+52%), Japan (+33%), Russia (+22.3%), Finland (+9.3%), France (+9.1%), Italy (+8.8%), USA (+6.6%) and Sweden (+5.6%).
The welcome stats come after a strong digital marketing campaign which targeted nine of Spain’s biggest regional capitals and 45 cities across 12 European countries.
“Every year we are showing travellers that Malaga can be a year-round destination,” said Tourism director Arturo Bernal.
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35