BRITISH comedy legend Freddie Starr has been found dead at his Costa del Sol apartment.
The 76-year-old entertainer, originally from Lancashire, was found by a carer in a chair at his home in Mijas.
The dad-of-six most recently starred in I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in 2011, just a year on from quadruple heart bypass surgery after he’d had a heart attack.
A heavy smoker, Starr collapsed on the reality TV show, later moving to southern Spain in 2015, where spent his days quietly, and trying to pay a £960,000 bill for historic sex abuse charges.
He started out as the frontman of Mersey band the Midniters in the 60s, before he shot to fame in the 70s on talent shows like Opportunity Knocks and the Royal Variety Performance.
Starr was also written into history after the Sun’s famous headline, ‘Freddie Starr ate my hamster’ on March 13 1986.
A neighbour said reclusive Starr would ‘just sit indoors all day long and he never had any visitors’.
They added that it was ‘tragic’ after he was found at 3:30pm on Thursday.
Eight days ago, Freddie wrote his last words online: “I’m ok, getting tired more now, but otherwise I’m doing good.
“I just have to say thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the kind comments and messages.
“It really does mean a lot, so thank you to each and everyone of you, thanks so much. Freddie.”
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58