SPAIN’S longest urban slide has been closed after several users were severely burned and bruised while riding it.
It comes less than 24 hours after the €28,000 stainless steel channel was opened on the Costa del Sol.
Dramatic footage shows a woman burning her bum, smacking her head and having her dress lifted up, while riding the slide in Estepona.
Meanwhile another of the slide’s users slammed it, saying she ‘hurt everywhere’ after her elbows and bum were covered in friction burns.
The 38 metre slide is now being described as ‘s**t’, while other have joked that ‘it kills children’, following the horrific injuries.
Many have viewed the slide, which has a gradient of 33 degrees, as a vanity project by the Estepona mayor, Jose Maria Garcia Urbano, ahead of the May 26 municipal elections.
Urbano proudly unveiled the slide through a Twitter video and said: “This urban slide can be used at the end of the week.
“It connects two streets and that contributes to being an element of accessibility in the city and will be the most important slide in Spain.”
It had been built to connect Calle Reina Sofía and Eslovaquia, but the Town Hall has said it will now review the new mode of urban transport.
One local also told the Olive Press that the Town Hall had closed the slide, because they ‘feared drunk people from the nearby San Isidro festival may be put in danger on the slide’.
A statement from Estepona Town Hall read: “The city council orders a complementary revision and preventive closing of the slide whose approval and safety had been certified by the specialist installation company.”
It has also update the conditions for use of the slide, including that children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult, people must not ride lying down and that the slide must be clear before being used.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33