A FORMER mechanical engineer is being forced to sleep in his car due to a mystery noise sending vibrations through his apartment.
John Ewin, 73, from Surrey, claims he has not slept at his €280,000 apartment in Riviera del Sol, Mijas, since a loud humming noise began some six weeks ago.
The pensioner, who worked on Hong Kong’s Shanghai Bank, once the most expensive buildings in the world, said he cannot pinpoint the exact source of the noise and that administrators are doing nothing to help.
“I believe it’s coming from the cistern pump room, which has been turned on to run 24/7 instead of just during the day time, which is when the pool pumps come on,” Ewin, who also worked for the Hilton group, told the Olive Press this week.
“I am becoming very ill with often only an hour of sleep a night and some nights none at all.
“I’ve not played golf in months or been able to mountain bike from the exhaustion, the vibration from the noise comes through my pillows.”
Ewin, from near Croydon, bought his home in Golf Gardens, Miraflores, in Mijas, two years ago.
“I spent over a year locating the perfect place,” he added, “now it’s just a nightmare.”
Despite countless complaints and offering to advise on solving the problem Ewin, who is being treated for prostate cancer, claims his calls have fallen on deaf ears.
Various neighbours have now made a denuncia to the Guardia Civil.
The complaint includes the substantial piles of duck faeces around the swimming pool, making it inaccessible to residents and holidaymakers.
In a letter to maintenance company Cygamest, which looks after the area, one resident said she was ‘absolutely disgusted’.
She claimed that when she brought up the duck poo with administrators, she was told the pool was not to be used until June and that ducks are a ‘protected species’ so ‘cannot be shot’.
“It is no excuse to not deal with the problem as I am sure there are other means,” she wrote in a scathing letter.
“I think we pay more then enough community fees so part of it can be used to pay for the specialist company to deal with this problem!”
Cygamest, the company behind the maintenance of the urbanisation, which has received dozens of complaints from Ewin and others, told the Olive Press: “We can offer no comment at this time as the matter is in the hands of our lawyers.”
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13