MORE than half of El Corte Ingles stores in Andalucia are in the red, new figures have revealed.
According to El Confidencial, 12 out of the 21 audited flagship locations are running a deficit, while just nine are turning a profit.
The nine centres making money are the outlets in Marbella Costa, Malaga, Nervion (Sevilla), Genil (Granada), San Juan de Aznalfarache, Duque de la Victoria Square (Sevilla), Ronda de Cordoba, Ronda de los Tejares (Cordoba) and Jerez.
The most successful is the Marbella Costa location, which is actually the 8th most profitable of the 99 national stores – returning more than €19.3 million in net profit in the fiscal year 2018-2019.
Andalucia’s second most profitable center is the Malaga Shopping Center, which sits at 14 in the national ranking, bringing a net profit of €11,208,688.
The Nervion centre in Sevilla rounds out the regional top three (17th in Spain), with a net profit of €8,937,511.
The Linares El Corte in Jaen is the company’s second-worst performing in the region and is 87th on the national level.
In the last fiscal year 2018-2019 it lost more than €3.3 million in net profits, a 23% drop from the year before.
In the Mijas Costa El Corte the results are even worse.
Sitting at 92 on the national level, the location – in an area popular with British expats – lost €3.8 million, a 7.14% drop in net profits compared to the year before.
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20