SECURITY has been stepped up in Madrid ahead of saturday’s all-English Champions League final.
Authorities expect 67,800 fans to attend Saturday’s clash between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
Police have deployed drones and banned trucks to counter a high threat of terror and prevent fan trouble.
“Security forces and corps have done an enormous, exhaustive and excellent job so that we can all enjoy (the match),” said Madrid regional government spokersperson Maria Paz Garcia-Vera.
Police numbers will swell to 4,700 for what authorities have termed a ‘high risk’ event.
British police are sharing intelligence with their Spanish counterparts and will be in Madrid to assist in the security operation.
Madrid Police Director Francisco Pardo said: “The Champions final is a world showcase, they will be looking at us from all over the world and the Spanish police want to be there to offer a good image of Spain as a safe, hospitable and friendly country.”
- Sevilla branded a ‘disgrace’ by Liverpool players after pre-season clash sees horror tackle on young star - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 11:53
- Arrest in southern Spain after body of missing British expat OAP discovered - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:46
- GOODBYE ‘BEETHOVEN’: Rafa Nadal to trade in his luxury yacht for a catamaran - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 12:27
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07