A BRITISH expat who has fought for eight years to rescue dogs trapped in a ‘hellhole’ says town hall councillors do nothing due to their friendship with the owner.
Grace Boas, 63, said there are six podenco hunting dogs stuck in an abandoned house ‘without windows’ on Cami Sant Miquel, near Benimeit, in Teulada.
She said the dogs live surrounded by ‘excrement and worms’ and they ‘never leave’ the property.
“I walk my dogs there every day and they bark non-stop,” Grace, who is secretary of PLUTO Protectora Animales, told the Olive Press.
“Four denuncias, two instancias and a complaint to the EU Commission have been made against their owner, Fernando Serrat, but nothing ever changes,” she explained.
Grace believes nothing has been done is that Serrat’s daughter is the director of the Auditori Teulada and ‘good friends’ with former health councillor Rosa Ana Caselles and former mayor Carlos Linares.
A series of letters addressed to both politicians pleading for ‘a solution’ have gone unanswered.
“We want to give these dogs a life of liberty, without fleas, worms, poor nutrition and horrific conditions,” read one letter to Linares.
She was recently told by Serrat’s daughter that she failed to ‘understand Spanish culture’.
“But is this really culture? It’s certainly not European behaviour, or shouldn’t be,” added Grace, who retired to Spain 15 years for health reasons.
She believes that the keen hunter Serrat, aged 77, is now ‘incapable’ of caring for his six dogs.
However there is hope on the horizon with both Linares and Caselles no longer in power after May’s elections.
She hopes new councillor for Animal Welfare Adrian Ruiz will be more ‘animal friendly’.
“The maltreatment of animals really upsets me,” added Boas, who narrowly missed a seat on Teulada council with the PSOE in the recent elections.
“I’m really praying something can finally be done.”
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04
- Driver confuses Barcelona’s ‘busiest’ Metro entrance with car park and goes bumper-first down staircase - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:17
- Woman killed after firework ‘shot into her mouth’ and exploded at Spanish festival - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 18:06