AN English builder shot dead in a drive-by shooting in Spain was wanted in the UK for attempted murder.
Dan Smith, who was shot four times at The Lounge Bar, in Riviera del Sol, Mijas, on Saturday, is wanted for blasting businessman Doug Turner at point blank range.
Smith, 26, fled the UK for Spain after shooting the millionaire at his farmhouse in Stock, Essex in 2007.
There was a European Arrest Warrant out for him, while two of his accomplices were jailed for nine months in 2008 for driving him to the house.
But Smith was allegedly shot by a friend as he drank outside the Lounge Bar.
The attacker shot him from a motorbike at 10pm on Saturday night.
He fired six shots at Smith who was drinking on the terrace. Two of them missed him and entered the bar, one getting lodged in a table.
An ambulance was on the scene within minutes, but he was declared dead before 11pm.
According to an Olive Press source, the builder had been shot just minutes after getting into an argument.
It is the sixth murder on the Costa del Sol this year so far, with 22-year-old British man being stabbed on April 22 in Benalmadena.
This latest Costa del Sol killing comes just over a week after the so-called Irish Mafia, led by Christopher Kinahan, was broken up.
His organisation was allegedly involved in drug and firearms trafficking and money laundering.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58