- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Spain’s biodiversity is ‘the most fragile in Europe’
June 17, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
June 17, 2013
Lead2 • 10 Comments
• The Cantabrian brown bear came under threat when a new ski-resort was proposed in the Cantabrian mountains
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
A GREEN group has warned the government that Spain’s biodiversity is ‘the most fragile in Europe’.
Ecologists in Action described the situation as ‘alarming’ after finding that the country also has the greatest number of endangered species on the continent.
The group said that the current government ‘focuses its efforts on changing environmental regulations, which has serious consequences in terms of loss of protection and deregulation’.
The report also slams local town halls adding that many mayors ‘support projects that theoretically promote economic growth, but actually have serious environmental and social consequences’.
The research found that a remarkable 25% of artificial surfaces in Europe, commercial, urban, industrial and transport areas, are located here in Spain.
It comes as the group issued its annual Black Flag awards to the region’s coastal towns with alarming readings for Andalucia.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]