A SPANISH police officer trapped down a well has turned his shotgun on himself after giving up any hope of rescue.
The keen hunter, named as Antonio M, broke both his legs after falling 18 metres down a well in Mallorca.
After waiting three days in vain to be saved, the 49-year-old shot himself according to police reports.
As he was on leave from his job, it had taken a while for colleagues to realise he had gone missing.
Once the alarm was raised, his car was found parked nearby and a search of the area discovered the concealed well.
Police confirmed that – despite Sol de Mallorca holiday complex lying close by – no one would have heard his cries for help.
Due to his injuries sustained he also would have been unable to climb out of the well, hidden away close to the island’s El Mago beach.
The well is located on land set aside for hunting, and although not having been in use for some 60 years, no effort was made to cover it or build a wall.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00