EXCLUSIVE BY ANDREW PEARCE
AN expatriate girl is set to become the UK’s next big pop princess.
Ella Chi, 23, from Gaucin is poised to give current stars Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen a run for their money by taking the 2010 music charts by storm.
After successful appearances at Glastonbury festival and The Jonathan Ross Show, Chi has now released her first single, called Gobstopper.
Sassy Ella Chi Hoggs – who went to school in Sotogrande – was heavily influenced by a series of flamenco and drum and bass mixes she listened to growing up in Andalucia.
“The vibrancy, energy and freedom that Ella enjoyed as a youngster here certainly shaped her love for music,” explained Chi’s mother Penny Hoggs.
Chi left Spain five years ago to embark on her singing career in the UK. She began writing the album with her cousin in a garden shed in Oxford.
Music company, Conehead Records – who also promote Australian star Peter Andre – jumped at the chance to sign up Chi.
“She is so talented and energetic, but above all determined,” explained Penny.
“She’s gone from practising in recording studios in the village to performing in New York clubs where the likes of Bob Dylan and Lady Gaga have all starred.
“A lot of people are tipping her to become huge in 2010.”
Chi’s album On the Radar is due out early next year.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00