FOLLOWING its worst rainfall for 60 years, Spain has now been put on heavy snow alert.
Temperatures are predicted to plummet to minus 15 degrees with widespread snowfall forecast for the east coast and much of inland Spain.
More then 1000 kilometres of main roads have been brought to a standstill with the provinces of Segovia, Teruel and Avila worst hit.
Andalucia and Extremadura also received heavy overnight snowfall in the Sierra de las Nieves and the mountains around the town of Grazalema.
Surprised onlookers in Ronda were yesterday greeted by a sharp snow flurry in the town centre
Snow is still predicted to hit the north of Castilla y Leon and the Pyrenees.
Meanwhile, gale-force wind is also set to strike Menorca and Melilla as well as the Ebro Valley, north east of Gerona.
The extreme weather conditions have wreaked havoc on transport links across the country.
Some eight motorways have been forced to close, including a section of the A-92 in Granada.
Mountain passes have also been hit with six including the Sanglorio in Cantabria now closed.
Roads in Teruel, Avila, Burgos, Leon and Cuenca are now particularly treacherous.
Drivers have been instructed to attach snow chains for all mountain journeys.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27