AFTER an arduous day out hunting and gathering, cavemen would pamper themselves with makeup new research in Spain has revealed.
Historically portrayed as moronic savages, it has been discovered that Neanderthals did indeed keep up their appearances.
For the exploration of two caveman sites in Murcia uncovered lumps of red and yellow pigments – believed to have been used as cosmetics some 50,000 years ago.
“The idea that came to our minds was that it was some kind of glitter or makeup like the shimmery stuff that people were wearing a few years ago,” explained João Zilhão, professor of palaeolithic archaeology.
Furthermore, scientists found pigment-stained and perforated marine shells, which are thought to have been used as necklaces.
The Olive Press previously revealed that an archaeological dig in inland Malaga uncovered fossils of cultivated wheat and barley dating back an incredible 7000 years – meaning Neolithic man may have liked his beer just as much as his modern-day counterparts.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00