A BLOCKED golf course development planned to be built above Nerja’s famous caves could still go ahead.
It comes after Medgroup’s billionaire backer George Soros demanded to know why the La Coladilla complex has been delayed.
Soros – who infamously bet against the pound on Black Wednesday – has called for the Junta to stop blocking the proposal.
Despite being rejected in 2005, Medgroup is still trying to force through the project.
Not only will the complex infringe on the Sierra de Tejada y Almijara natural parks.
But it will also be built next to the famous Cuevas de Nerja network of caves.
An 18-hole golf course, five-star hotel and 1000 luxury home covering an area more than 1000 square metres are among the ambitious plans proposed by Medgroup.
Nerja mayor José Alberto Armijo has previously said that the complex would “revolutionise” the Costa del Sol’s economy.
After Medgroup bought the land from Nerja town hall, the Junta stepped in to block the project in 2005.
Medgroup is now awaiting a verdict after instigating legal action demanding the return of the eleven million euros already paid to Nerja council.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00