THE home of bull fighting and flamenco is embracing an unlikely first this weekend as a new Gaelic football team goes into battle.
The Irish sport is one of the world’s most dangerous and the Andalucian team, Eire Óg Seville, will have to be well-prepared for their first games on the Costa del Sol this Saturday.
Consisting of Spanish and English players as well as Irish, the expat team will face the Madrid Gaels, Barcelona Harps and Marbella Costa Gaels in the Iberian GAA league.
Hosting the one-day tournament the village of Ojen is shaping up for a brutal and exciting spectacle.
Players of the 14th century fifteen-a-side sport use their hands and feet hit a round ball into a net or over posts similar to rugby.
Six teams will be split over two groups with the top two progressing to the semi-finals and then the final.
Eire Og Seville’s green and red boys will need to get past Spanish heavyweights from Madrid and Valencia to reach the semis.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58