By Wendy Williams
CAMPAIGNERS are up in arms after one of Ireland’s most dangerous sex offenders was allowed to move to Spain.
Larry Murphy has relocated to the Costa del Sol after serving only 10 years of a 15-year sentence for the attempted murder and repeated rape of a businesswoman in 2000.
The 45-year-old, who successfully applied for a passport and driver’s licence while still behind bars, is reported to have refused offers of rehabilitation and counselling when in prison.
He is also suspected to have connections with the disappearance of six other women.
But while Spanish police insist they are going to keep the violent rapist under surveillance, Spain does not have a sex-offenders’ register.
As a result he only has to tell the Irish police of any change in address allowing him to live here in relative
The news comes just as Spanish police admitted they do not have the resources to monitor all the arriving sex offenders.
The Guardia Civil announced it was concerned about the number of such arrivals, calling for reinforcements for the coastal resorts over the summer.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00