By Wendy Williams
CAMPAIGNERS are up in arms after one of Ireland’s most dangerous sex offenders was allowed to move to Spain.
Larry Murphy has relocated to the Costa del Sol after serving only 10 years of a 15-year sentence for the attempted murder and repeated rape of a businesswoman in 2000.
The 45-year-old, who successfully applied for a passport and driver’s licence while still behind bars, is reported to have refused offers of rehabilitation and counselling when in prison.
He is also suspected to have connections with the disappearance of six other women.
But while Spanish police insist they are going to keep the violent rapist under surveillance, Spain does not have a sex-offenders’ register.
As a result he only has to tell the Irish police of any change in address allowing him to live here in relative
The news comes just as Spanish police admitted they do not have the resources to monitor all the arriving sex offenders.
The Guardia Civil announced it was concerned about the number of such arrivals, calling for reinforcements for the coastal resorts over the summer.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00