EXCLUSIVE by Troy Shaheen
A LAST minute agreement between the Glenn Hoddle Academy and Jerez Industrial might just have saved the football club from extinction.
It comes after the football legend withdrew all his players from the club a week ago due to a row over money.
The former England manager pulled out his 12 academy players after the struggling club failed to pay back 174,000 euros he lent it last year.
It ended a five year agreement which showcased British youngsters in the Spanish third division team. It led to Jerez being forced to field a makeshift team of teenagers, who lost 5-0.
Now, after a last ditch appeal, the dozen players have returned to Jerez to finish the season.
Last weekend, with the British players back on the pitch, the club managed to draw 1-1 with Los Barrios.
Hoddle told the Olive Press: “The academy has once again saved the club from extinction, despite not being repaid its loan of more than 174,000 euros.
“It shows our commitment to the club.”
Under an agreement signed by both the team and the local city council, Hoddle was expecting to receive the first installment of the loan paid back in October.
But when no money was returned by the March 7 deadline, the former Spurs midfielder – who played for England 44 times – returned to England with his players.
The Glenn Hoddle Academy set up near Jerez, three years ago.
The ructions have led to the academy relocating to the National Sports Centre in the UK.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46