By James Bryce
CAMPAIGNERS have slammed the UK benefit system, which is allowing expats abroad to defraud around 70million euros a year from government coffers.
They believe the majority of this so called ‘abroad fraud’ is being committed by Britons living in Spain.
The TaxPayers’ Alliance (TPA) is now calling for a major shake-up of the claims process, in a bid to prevent the huge amount of fraud.
TPA Research Director John O’Connell, told the Olive Press: “It’s alarming for taxpayers and genuine claimants that so much is lost to fraud.
“The reality is that the benefits system is way too complicated, with over 50 benefits available to claimants, meaning that loopholes are exploited too often both in the UK and abroad.
“The entire system needs a drastic overhaul and must be simplified as soon as possible.”
The Department for Work and Pensions supported the view, confirming that an overhaul of the system was vital if benefit claims were to be processed more efficiently.
“Fundamentally, the system has grown far too complex and is in need of radical reform to make it easier to administer”, said a spokesman.
The Olive Press launched a ‘Beat the Cheats’ campaign last month to try and help clamp down on the fraud.
We are calling on readers to bring cheats to justice. Please contact [email protected] or phone 951166060.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46