SELF-CATERING in Spain is the best value holiday in Europe.
Research into the cost of food and drink suggests that the Iberian Peninsula offers superb value.
The Self Catering on a Shoestring report, carried out by the Post Office, compared the total cost of 16 common supermarket purchases, including bread, milk and vegetables in 13 popular European destinations.
Surprisingly perhaps, Mallorca topped the poll, where the 16 items cost just £44.23, while the Algarve (£44.36) and the Costa Blanca (£47.28) came second and third.
A separate report by Telegraph Travel found that toiletries and restaurant meals in Spain and Portugal were among the cheapest in Europe.
Holiday destinations in Spain and Portugal have benefitted from the growing decline of holidays to Egypt and Tunisia, a result of the year’s civil unrest throughout North Africa.
Tour operators Thomas Cook and Tui Travel have both reported increased summer bookings to Spain.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02