IT has sunken the ambitions of many aspiring golfers.
But now the lake at Valderrama golf course has finally gone to a more positive use.
The water hazard at Europe’s most prestigious course was used last week to help stem a blaze, near Sotogrande.
The blaze which razed 200 hectares saw families evacuated from two urbanisations.
Firefighters fought through the night to tackle the blaze which began in the Sierra Carbonera, near San Roque.
It is believed it was started by arsonists.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02