SPAIN has been picked as one of the big travel winners of the year.
In 2011 the number of Britons visiting the Iberian nation surged by nearly 10 per cent as the country profited from the political upheavals in Egypt and Tunisia.
Moreover, not only did Spain emerge as the safer option this year it was a cheaper one too.
Price rises in rival destination Turkey made packages to the costas seem better value and according to a survey by the Post Office, day-to-day costs in Spanish resorts were cheaper than in any other major European holiday region.
It comes as new research shows Britons will continue to stay away from the Middle East and North Africa when booking their holidays for 2012, opting for familiar destinations such as Spain and Portugal.
Indeed, the survey by holiday comparison site Travel Supermarket found that more than one in 10 UK holidaymakers are planning trips to Spain next year.
Bob Atkinson of TravelSupermarket, says: “In tough economic times, Brits often return to known quantities, so this will drive an interest in these destinations.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00