SPAIN has been picked as one of the big travel winners of the year.
In 2011 the number of Britons visiting the Iberian nation surged by nearly 10 per cent as the country profited from the political upheavals in Egypt and Tunisia.
Moreover, not only did Spain emerge as the safer option this year it was a cheaper one too.
Price rises in rival destination Turkey made packages to the costas seem better value and according to a survey by the Post Office, day-to-day costs in Spanish resorts were cheaper than in any other major European holiday region.
It comes as new research shows Britons will continue to stay away from the Middle East and North Africa when booking their holidays for 2012, opting for familiar destinations such as Spain and Portugal.
Indeed, the survey by holiday comparison site Travel Supermarket found that more than one in 10 UK holidaymakers are planning trips to Spain next year.
Bob Atkinson of TravelSupermarket, says: “In tough economic times, Brits often return to known quantities, so this will drive an interest in these destinations.”
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00