SPAIN’S longest serving prisoner has gone on hunger strike over his failed pardon.
Miguel Montes Neiro, 61, who has spent 36 years behind bars, was promised he would be released in time for Christmas.
However, while his partial pardon was agreed by the previous Socialist government, it cannot be effective until it has been published in the Official State Bulletin (BOE).
In response Neiro has threatened to continue his hunger strike – his fourth held in jail – until he is released.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02