DISCIPLINARY action is being taken against 10 Costa del Sol car hire firms accused of price fixing.
The probe was launched after regulators were tipped off about what they described as ‘possible anti-competitive conduct’.
Action will also be taken against two Andalucia-based car associations and six companies based in Alicante by the National Competition Commission (CNC).
If found guilty, the companies could face a fine of up to 10 per cent of their revenue from the previous financial year.
It follows a series of inspections on October 26 and January 11, which led to evidence being uncovered of alleged price fixing agreements between firms.
The investigation could last up to 18 months. Spain’s competition laws have undergone a number of reforms, with the CNC handed responsibility for stamping out cartels.
Car firms under investigation:
Aurigacrown Car Hire
Bardon Y Rufo 67
New Cars Costa del Sol
Record-Go Alquiler Vacacional
Guerin Rent A Car
Prima Rent A Car
Aesva Andalucia Asociacion
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10