A BRITISH woman, a victim of domestic abuse, has been jailed for five years after murdering her husband at their home in Benalmadena.
Michelle Cornell, 50, stabbed her husband David, 57, in the chest with a kitchen knife in July 2010.
Michelle had been subjected to years of abuse at the hands of her husband, a former car salesman, during their 18-year marriage.
She had not reported the abuse to British or Spanish police and nor had she sought separation or divorce.
She told police her husband had tried to strangle her following an argument, and that she had stabbed him in defence.
The prosecutor had called for an eight-year sentence.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10