A FORMER Moulin Rouge dancer has been jailed for benefit fraud after fleeing to Spain.
Benefit cheat Dawn Orton, 47, was locked up for 12 months after being convicted of cheating the taxpayer out of as much as €100,000.
The mother-of-two had been sentenced in her absence at Hull Crown Court after absconding to the Costa del Sol.
A request to have the case transferred to Gibraltar was ignored and an international arrest warrant being issued.
She eventually handed herself into police last week.
Orton claimed thousands in lone widow payments following the death of her husband, despite being in a long-term relationship with a wealthy businessman.
She also claimed incapacity benefit payments for a shoulder injury, despite continuing to play badminton and enjoying skiing holidays.
- Junta de Andalucia accused of human rights abuses - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 15:07
- Mammoth wasp nest found in abandoned property - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 14:58
- Shamed Spanish councillor goes topless - 21 Apr, 2013 @ 11:49
- See you later alligator! - 19 Apr, 2013 @ 11:20
- Not on our doorsteps! - 14 Apr, 2013 @ 10:32
- ‘Help us access our homes’, plead pensioners - 13 Apr, 2013 @ 10:57
- Lanzarote child abduction: Man arrested - 12 Apr, 2013 @ 13:41
- Big cats are back - 11 Apr, 2013 @ 17:27
- March sees worst rainfall in 60 years in Andalucia - 31 Mar, 2013 @ 09:01
- Feared and celebrated bull in Spain has died - 30 Mar, 2013 @ 08:50