THREE wildfires were reported in the Axarquia this afternoon – the first near Velez-Malaga, followed by another in Frigiliana and the third affecting an area of scrub in Torrox – near the main autovia junction to the coast.
The Torrox incident was captured by Olive Press reader Craig Mahoney who reported that a dozen or so firemen with two tenders and the Proteccion Civil had the blaze under control within an hour or so, with the aid of the helicopter.
The urbanisation on the other side of the valley was never in danger, but people filled the streets and terraces to get a better view of the spectacle.
There were no reports of personal injuries or damage to property.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33