ANDALUCIAN officials have responded with outrage at the government’s proposal to do away with ‘one of the core institutions’ of a functioning democracy.
Political parties have also slammed the plan to scrap ombudsmen from the autonomous communities.
They have united to oppose the reforms, which the government wants to introduce as part of a new wave of austerity measures.
They maintain the government has no right to undertake the cutbacks and that these reforms are impossible in their region, given its large geographical size and population.
The Defensor del Pueblo – or ombudsman – is responsible for defending the rights of citizens against any possible infringement by the government.
News of the proposed reforms arrives just after the appointment of a new ombudsman to Andalucía.
The outgoing Jose Chamizo (pictured) left after 17 years in the position, reportedly unhappy with some government decisions.
Continually outspoken over his long reign, one of his last tasks was to publicly criticise the way town halls are looking for ways to develop the final virgin beaches in Andalucia, in particular on the Costa de la Luz.
Under the new government austerity measures, there are also plans to eliminate numerous local courts and local agencies, with federal government assuming greater responsibility.
The government has advised communities that it is in their best interest to comply with the new proposals if they wish to help alleviate Spain’s financial woes.
- Goya museum in trouble - 13 Aug, 2013 @ 10:00
- Kids’ cardiac threat - 11 Aug, 2013 @ 10:08
- Football match abandoned at World Police and Fire Games - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 10:52
- The last of the Spanish Nazis - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 10:03
- Buena Vista baile - 10 Aug, 2013 @ 09:02
- Sotogrande celebrates half a century - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 15:16
- Staying safe on Spain’s roads - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 12:10
- Snoop Dogg rolls in - 9 Aug, 2013 @ 09:17
- British woman gives birth to biggest baby ever born naturally in Spain - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 14:57
- Keira Knightly takes Spanish vacation - 8 Aug, 2013 @ 12:34