IT is hard to avoid the influence of art in Gaucin.
All around the town are scattered a series of brightly-coloured geckos, 250 in total – part of an art project inspired by the town’s artistic leanings.
There are literally dozens of artists living in and around the town. They are inspired by its intensity of light and panoramic views over rooftops to craggy rock formations caressed by oak-clad foothills sweeping down to the valley floor and in the distance Gibraltar and Africa.
The group now own association, Art Gaucin and open studio weekends are promoted once or twice a year, with the artists are contactable via a new website www.artgaucin.com.
One artist Lesley Riddihough’s paintings are on display at Molino del Santo hotel in Benaojan, while Stephanie Thompson’s delightful greetings cards can be bought at Bonissim, Karen O’conner’s truly delectable delicatessan in Calle Luis Arminan.
Paddy Robinson offers painting classes, while Victoria Orr Ewing has lately joined forces with Ali Mudge and Lucy Verney to form Painting And Pilates in Spain.
Highly accomplished and prize winning artist Victoria heads the team which offers a choice of residential or non residential holidays.
One exciting new arrival is Josaba Zabaleta Sanchez, whose stylish home in Calle Larga, near the 15th century church of San Sebastian is a charming spot.
His ground floor windows offer a tantalizing view into the artist’s working studio space and it was impossible not to be moved by the moody industrial scenes of his large canvases.
Josaba’s wife Maria, a former television producer, is also adding to the mix, by launching a wedding and events planning company Un Plan Sencillo.
The couple have come to Gaucin partly because of it’s reputation as a haven for artists and for the colourful and lighter palette offered by a landscape far less muted by the inclement weather conditions that often dull the terrain of their home ground in northern Spain.
To make an arrangement to view his work, go to www.sanchezzabaleta.com or her website www.unplansencillo.es.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40