It is genuinely difficult to believe the Spanish Government, university-educated and ‘democratically’ elected in the 21st century, has drawn up plans to ban abortion.
Their body clocks have seemingly hit reverse as they attempt to drag Spain, kicking and screaming, back down its anthropological timeline to an age of sexism, repression and ignorance.
The fact women would not be punished for illegal abortions reeks of a return to the horrific coat-hanger dark-alley scenarios of a dark past.
But the discontented spirit of the age has fired up a torrent of disgust and outrage across Europe. Like at a music festival when the cry of ‘b######s’ goes up and spreads like wildfire through ten thousand throaty roars. This isn’t a Mexican wave of bandwagon protest; it is a tidal wave that cannot be ignored.
Abortion needs to be dealt with sensitively, sincerely and intelligently. But if those in charge are stuck in the last century then they deserve a reality check and a return to the back benches.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44