FIVE gang members have been arrested for allegedly blowing up at least ten cash machines and stealing the money across Malaga province.
Most recently, €15,000 was stolen from a post office cash machine in San Pedro Alcantara and national police suspect the same gang is behind four incidents in Malaga and a further five on the Costa del Sol.
They send a mixture of oxygen and acetylene up the cash notes exit through flexible tubes before producing a spark and triggering the explosion, usually avoiding any damage to the money.
In Estepona’s Benamara urbanisation the thieves successfully made off with the machine’s entire €10,000, but in Guadalhorce three hooded men were caught on video as their explosion failed to sufficiently break open the cash machine.
CCTV footage from the different incidents suggests the same people have been behind each attempt.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44