A SCOTTISH nightclub owner has died from a car collision while attempting to cross the main coastal highway after a night partying in Puerto Banus on his stag do.
Businessman Billy Peterkin, 59, died instantly as he was hit by a BMW on the N-340, the Autovia del Mediterrananeo, just before 4am on Saturday, when returning alone from the first night of his holiday.
Police believe he was trying to walk back to his hotel on the other side of the road, but tragically there was a pedestrian underpass just five minutes away.
The stretch of road has one of the highest concentrations of accidents in Europe, and measures are in place to deter pedestrians from attempting to cross it.
Police said the 40-year-old driver of the BMW passed a breath and drugs test, and was not arrested. The man from Northern Spain was holidaying in the area.
A source close to the investigation told the Daily Mail: “Mr Peterkin appears to have become separated from his friends and was killed as he tried to cross the N340 from the Puerto Banus side.”
He was due to marry fiancee Emma Gallagher in three weeks. She is now being consoled by family and friends.
A statement issued on behalf of his family read: “Billy Peterkin, a well-loved and respected Glasgow businessman, was killed in a road accident last night in Puerto Banus, Marbella.
“Billy, 59, who was known for his hard work in the licensed trade, including running the Nile bar, had been on a golfing holiday with a group of close, long-time friends.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44