IN the region surrounding the town of Tivissa, firefighters continue attempts to put out an uncontrollable forest fire.
A total of 89 firefighter units – 77 on land and 12 in the air – have fought against the blaze, which has already destroyed around 812 hectares of vegetation.
Efforts to control the fire have become more desperate as fears grow that the fire may begin encroaching on the Ribera d’Ebre town of Tivissa.
Fifty-one people in 28 houses have already been preemptively evacuated.
The team of firefighters is directing its efforts on the east side of the blaze in order to avoid sea breezes from fueling a more rapid movement of the fire towards population.
- Nutella prices to soar as world hazelnut crop suffers adverse weather - 16 Aug, 2014 @ 15:00
- Venezuelan woman arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine in fake breasts - 15 Aug, 2014 @ 13:31
- Marbella’s Starlite festival welcomes back Julio Iglesias for the third year in a row - 14 Aug, 2014 @ 15:02
- PICTURE SPECIAL: Andalucia’s top five natural swimming pools - 12 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s Felipe VI and Prime Minister Rajoy discuss escalating Ebola concerns - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 15:41
- Socialist culture secretary hits out at new taxes - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 12:00
- Leading economist to head investing talk at Benalmadena cycle event - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s crippling unemployment may be on the up - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain urged to issue 50-year bond to help fill coffers - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s top SEO companies - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00