NATIONAL police have arrested 27 used car dealers for dialing back cars’ odometers to sell them at a higher price.
The investigation began after a man bought a car in Toledo thinking it had undertaken a total of 87,000km, only to find out it had actually travelled 207,000km.
Since this incident, 48 falsified cars – from 24 dealerships – have been found in five provinces.
Authorities have reported that only a small percentage of falsified cars ever get discovered by their owners.
The equipment needed to turn back odometers can be bought online for as low as €100 – roughly 10% of the profits dealers stand to make from dialing back the numbers on just one car.
Used car sales are up 4.5% from last year, putting a record number of Spain’s population at risk for being scammed. According to the Federation of Associations of Automotive Dealerships, two used cars are bought for every new car purchased in Spain.
Used car owners can protect themselves by looking up the kilometrage records on any car’s inspection reports, now tracked by the National Department of Traffic.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05