TO commute to London and Amsterdam every week and then return to your home in Casares at the weekend seems exhausting.
But one local resident’s weekly plight shows just how adored this charming town is, to those in the know.
According to local agents the property market is very much on the up, with the wild and beautiful landscape providing the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
“We moved here in 2001 because we wanted to be surrounded by nature, stunning views and peace, but be still close to the facilities of the coast,” explained Anita Schmidt, of Villas and Fincas country properties.
“And everyone who buys here does so for almost exactly the same reasons.”
Life in rural Casares is undoubtedly idyllic. Large, white villas sit in secluded 3000 metre squared plots where you’re actually more likely to see a wild boar than any of your neighbours.
It’s the polar opposite of life in coastal urbanisations, while still being just a stone’s throw from the beaches.
But the gem that is Casares village is also a major draw, with a smattering of quirky little shops, butchers selling the finest Spanish sausages and a brimming catalogue of cultural events.
“It is an upmarket area, like a mini Zagaleta, but much less urbanised,” says Schmidt, who lives with her husband Oscar and three teenage girls.
“The houses here are better quality and larger than other areas such as Alhaurin el Grande or Coin, and you obviously pay a bit extra for that.”
Around half of those buying are looking for second homes, with the rest making the move permanent.
The international schools dotted along the coast make the area perfect for families too, and it is also ideal for people commuting to Gibraltar.
The company, which has been based in the town for a decade specialises in large country properties, but also has some enormous estates for sale scattered around inland Andalucia and around nearby Benahavis and Marbella.
“We go all over the place and I sometimes end up driving for hours on end to show someone a property,” explains Oscar.
“But we still have a very strong focus here and we have sold quite a number of properties around the Casares area this year. Indeed, it’s been a very good year.”
For more information visit www.villasfincas.com
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44