CHIEF Minister Fabian Picardo has called on the Queen to visit the Rock after a 60 year absence.
Picardo made the plea to Her Majesty while addressing 30,000 people during National Day celebrations.
The Chief Minister enlisted the enthusiastic crowd to support the idea.
“If I can’t hear you, they can’t hear you in Buckingham Palace. Gibraltar, do you want the Queen to come back to the Rock?” he asked, as the crowd cheered and clapped in agreement.
“Now there’s a message and a half,” Picardo added.
Earlier this year, the Olive Press revealed that the idea of a Royal visit had been floated during a high level meeting with representatives from the UK government.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44