A NEO-NAZI has been mauled by lions after he jumped into their enclosure at Barcelona Zoo.
Dressed in military uniform, the man – named in local reports as Justo Jose MP – climbed into the enclosure and began scaling one of the walls.
But almost instantly he was dragged into the pit by the leg by a lioness, who was quickly joined by two others lions.
The 45-year-old was rescued around 30 minutes later, covered in scratches and bite marks, after firefighters used hoses to fight off the animals.
He was taken to the city’s Hospital de la Vall D’Hebron where he remains in a serious but not life-threatening condition.
The neo-Nazi demonstrator was arrested in November after draping banners covered in Swastikas over the Casa Mila building in an anti-abortion protest.
It is not yet known whether the incident at Barcelona Zoo was a demonstration, although firefighters insist it could not have been an accident.
Chief firefighter of the Bomberos de Barcelona, Hector Carmona, said: “The security system makes it impossible for a person to fall into the enclosure. It cannot have been by accident, to enter the enclosure you have to want to go in.”
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05